Another Saranac 6er Down!
What up Road Trip Warriors!? We tagged another Saranac 6er, this one being Baker Mountain! It is a short hike in the Saranac Lake Region, and like Scarface Mountain, it is a great mud season hike! Here is a bunch of information on this beautiful little trek!
Summary of Baker Mountain
- Difficulty: Easy
- Length: 1.8 miles round trip
- Elevation: 2,452′ above sea level
- Hiking Time: It took us about 1.5 hours to reach the summit, but that is because we stopped to take photos at some lookouts. Anyone could reach this summit in less than an hour if they really wanted to, but why rush? It took us less than an hour to get back to the car.
- Photo Opportunities: Before the summit there is a great view of the town of Saranac as well as the surrounding area. The summit is wooded, but there is a nice rock ledge where you can sit, snack, and take more photos.
Starting the Hike
The trailhead is right next to Moody Pond. There is a sign that says “Trail to Mt. Baker” making it very easy to find. Walk up past the sign and check in at the trail register. You will be following the red trail markers for this hike.
The beginning of the hike is relatively flat. There was some fresh snow when we went which made the trail a little more scenic.
The Short Climb
As this hike is only nine-tenths of a mile, the climb isn’t too strenuous. It was a little steep in some spots, but I believe most individuals would have no difficulty at all. There is one spot where you will climb up some rocks and the views open up. If you look behind you, you will be able to see the town of Saranac among other sights.
The summit of Baker Mountain is wooded, but offers better views than Scarface does. There were two geological markers in the rock on the summit and there is a nice ledge that offers some open views. It is a great spot to chill out after your light workout. We took a bunch of photos here before we left.
Getting Back to the Trailhead/Parking
This trail is an out-and-back trail so you are just going to hike out the same way you hiked in. Pay attention on your way down. Sometimes it is the easy hikes where you let your guard down and end up getting injured.
This hike is dog-friendly. This is a short hike that I am sure your dog would love!
This hike is short, easy, and has awesome lookouts for the least amount of effort compared to the other Saranac 6ers. It is a great workout and a good choice when it is mud season in the High Peaks.
- Timberland Boots
- Nike Compression Leggings
- Athletic shorts
- Adidas joggers
- Athletic T-shirt
- Athletic long sleeve top
- 3L of water
- Almonds and peanut butter sandwiches
- Wind/Rain pants
- LL Bean Winter Jacket
- Extra layers (UnderArmour)
- Extra hiking socks
- Paracord and two carabiners
- Water-proof matches
- LifeStraw (water filtration, costs about $20)
- Adhesive body warmer
- Hand Warmers
- Trekking poles
- First-Aid Kit
- Garmin inReach (satellite device that has a GPS, can send texts, send SOS, and has many other helpful features)
Thanks for taking the time to check out this hike! I hope it was helpful/informative for those looking to hike in the Saranac Lake area. The Saranac 6ers have proved to be a lot of fun thus far, and Baker Mountain is definitely a hike worth doing! Hit the like and follow buttons if you found this post helpful. Leave a comment if you want to reach out. I am always open to questions, suggestions, and remarks! I look forward to sharing more!